It is inevitable that as your baby grows inside you, your skin also has to grow and stretch. During pregnancy skin undergoes a period of rapid growth. Stretch marks occur when skin cells become over stretched and tight. Hormonal influences soften skin fibers and damage occurs as the supportive elastic layer of skin tears apart. Our genetics and skins elasticity play a huge role in whether we will or wont suffer with stretch marks.
Sadly there isn't a 100% guarantee or magical cure to preventing stretch marks occurring and contrary to some adverts we can never truly make our stretch marks vanish post baby without surgical treatments.
However all is not lost. I’m a believer in being proactive and positive. So here’s a list of things that you can do to help reduce stretch marks occurring.
- Stay hydrated, drink at least 1.5 liters of fluid per day. Water, herbal teas, smoothies or caffeine free beverages).
- Eat a healthy balanced diet including fresh fruit, vegetables and vitamin rich foods.
- Reduce processed food intake. These can contain large amounts of salt, sugar and fat.
- Maintain a healthy weight, Gradual, not rapid weight gain is best.
- Go for a walk or swim. Exercise improves circulation which helps skin stay supple.
- Massage the skin regularly with premium quality oils or lotions. This again improves circulation and helps keeps skin supple. Specific oils can hydrate and rejuvenate skin cells.
Natures touch has formulated a Belly Oil that penetrated deep into skin layers to help maintain skins elasticity and assist in cell regeneration and repair. Its been nominated for two years running and made the finals list for the Oh Baby Awards in 2020 and 2022.